Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Omni Flight to Vegas


Vacations Hawaii uses Omni Airlines International for its charter tour flights to Las Vegas, and recently, I got to fly on their new 767 aircraft. In first class, no less.
It’s always a different experience to fly first class. The crew is much nicer to you, and you meet the nicest people sitting next to you. Most of them are older; I’d say the average age of the passengers is around 70+. Just look around in the waiting area.
Older folks like to buy the Vacations Hawaii package. So much so that a whole section up front in the main cabin is reserved for people in wheelchairs. I remember in the past where the wheelers boarded first and were situated in the rear, by the toilets. Stinky.
However nice it was to sit in the wider first-class seats, I do have some negative observations.
First of all, the nuts they served with the pre-meal drinks were nice and warm, but stale and soft. That should never happen. I do have to say that during the return flight, the nuts were less stale, but still somewhat soft.
Some of the seat video monitors malfunctioned, and the problems were beyond the capability of the first-class cabin crew to remedy the situation. It’s no help when the passengers are elderly and averse to anything new. It was actually quite humorous to watch, but I did my best not to giggle or chuckle or stare. See how nice a guy I am?
As for meals, on the outbound trip from Honolulu to Las Vegas, I had two choices – chicken curry, or beef with mozzarella. I chose the chicken, a pretty good, and definitely tasty, choice. On the return trip, they offered chicken with mushroom gravy, or steak with mashed potatoes, broccoli and gravy. I had the steak. Passable, although definitely well-done.
I may do it again the next time I head off to Las Vegas with Vacations Hawaii. Such good deals. Hard to pass up. Plus, the Omni flights are not bad.

No comments: