Monday, January 9, 2012

Cool Computer Feature

You may have heard that I have a new computer, purchased sometime in November, picked up sometime in December thanks to an inattentive Best Buy Geek Squad guy, and only recently set up because I had better things to do during the Christmas and New Year holidays.

It's a Dell Inspiron One 2320 - an all-in-one desktop computer that has no tower and separate screen. Everything is in one unit fronted by a large 30" diagonal wide screen.

The cool thing about it is the Fast Access software that comes already installed. Once you register your facial image, it uses that image to let you into the computer instead of a password.

Turn on the computer, a window pops up and directs you to hold on a second while it gets ready. Then a little green box appears on the small image and follows your face around. As soon as you're recognized, you're in. Takes about 1/10th of a second, by my estimate.

Sure beats remembering and typing in a password.

Oh, by the way, it directs you to move a little. My guess is it does that to ensure nobody uses a photograph of me to fool Fast Access. It wants to see the facial features change ... I think.

The only thing is, none of my family will be able to use the computer in an emergency, unless we register their images first. Guess I should get hopping on that, huh?

No comments: