Saturday, December 17, 2011

Taking Christmas Off the Shelf

I was a little late doing it this year, but last night, I finally took my three must-see Christmas DVDs down from the shelf and watched them.

It's become tradition with me, as you probably hear me say every year. Somehow, they seem to awaken the Christmas Spirit hidden deep inside. 
My annual transformation always begins with Mannheim Steamroller's 1977 "Christmas Live" concert performed in Omaha, Nebraska.
Their beautiful music mixes traditional instrument and style with electric instruments and large-screen video presented before a live audience. The music is deep, rich and full, and always perfectly synchronized. 
Immediately after, I watch the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "The Ghosts of Christmas Eve,” featuring the soul-stirring, hard-electric guitars that present a story of a young girl yearning to be back home on Christmas Eve.
Performances by Michael Crawford, Jewel, Allie Sheridan as the girl, and Ossie Davis as the theater caretaker always bring a lump in my throat.
Finally, I watch Santa Claus: The Movie, released in 1985 and starring David Huddleston as the kindly old toy carver who is destined to bring joy to all the children of the world, Dudley Moore as his right-hand elf, John Lithgow as the mean toy company tycoon, and Burgess Meredith in a cameo as The Ancient Elf.
Santa Claus: The Movie tells us in its first half how the Santa legend came to be, and when Santa and his reindeer fly for the first time ever, I always find myself wiping the tears from my eyes.
Ah, the magic of Christmas!
Why did I wait so long this year? Can't really say for sure, but if I had to venture a guess, maybe it's because I'm more into the season this year. After all, I didn't grumble as much this year about getting and decorating a tree, did I?
Maybe I'm growing up again.

No comments: