Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Ding Dong Balls

My Chinese health balls, that is. Why? What were you thinking of?

A very good friend sent these to me during a Christmas ornament exchange, with hopes, I guess, that they would help me relax, make me happier, and improve my health.

According to a little card included with the balls, their use dates back to the Ming Dynasty (1369-1644), and supposedly, using them can stimulate the various acupuncture points in the hand.

Within the balls are bells that produce quiet, subtle clangs - one high, one slightly lower (hence the "ding dong" in the title above). It's thought this aids physical strength and removes disease such as headaches, high blood pressure, nervousness and arthritis.

I love rolling them around in the hands - clockwise in the right, and counter-clockwise in the left.

See? I feel better already.

3 comments:

R. said...

Had any luck with headache relief? If so, I may have to invest in a pair. :)

Craig Miyamoto said...

Rebecca, I think any "curative" properties might only exist in the user's head. Which is kind of ironic since you're looking for headache relief. Seriously, I have no idea if it'd work for headaches ... maybe, maybe not.

~ Craig

R. said...

Maybe I've just gotta belieeeeeeeve. ;)