Friday, March 25, 2011

Worddities

Worddities: (n) word oddities. Source: Craig’s Dictionary
I don’t know why things like this interest me, but they do. It must be because I made a living arranging words on a page in a manner that made sense. Did you know that:
·    “Stewardesses” is the longest word you can type using only your left hand?
·    “Lollypop” is the longest word you can type using only the right hand?
·    “Dreamt” is the only English word that ends with “mt”?
·    “Tremendous,” “horrendous,” “stupendous,” and “hazardous” are the only four English words that end in “dous”?
·    “Abstemious” and “facetious” are the only words in which the vowels “a-e-i-o-u” appear in alphabetical order?
·    “Typewriter” is the longest word you can make using only one row on a keyboard?
I betcha you didn’t know all of that. And if you didn’t, it’s probably because you don’t care, or it never even entered your mind to figure it out.
For me, it was all of that. But now that I know, I feel so much better.
Don’t you?

1 comment:

casch said...

Cute, Craig. I do get a kick out of things like this. Some say I should have been an English teacher and if I hadn't chosen nursing, I probably would have taken their advice.