Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Redux

Last night sort of reminded me of the “cautious panic” that Honolulu experienced last year following the devastating earthquake in Chile – Waikiki tourists trudging down Kalakaua Avenue, headed for higher ground or friends’ hotel rooms on higher floors.
Tourists Abandoning the Moana Surfrider Hotel in Waikiki
As for the locals, many did as expected. As soon as they heard the tsunami warning sirens blaring around 10 p.m., they did the usual thing … they rushed on down to their nearest supermarket and stocked up on rice, spam, batteries and toilet paper.

I wonder how many will be returning sheepishly to the stores today to see if they can get a refund?
Again, I muse … I guess it’s better to be safe than sorry. If I were a tourist, I’d be terrified, especially after seeing the devastation the 8.9 earthquake inflicted on the north-eastern coast of Japan’s Honshu Island yesterday.
Weren’t those images incredible?
As for the locals, I guess one can’t suppress the “mob-let’s-just-be-sure” gene. It dwells somewhere in all of us.

No comments: