Friday, October 15, 2010

Yesterday Went Not Exactly as Planned

I had one small errand in mind yesterday morning.
BEFORE LEAVING:
· Me: I have to pick up prescriptions at Costco today.
· The Wife: Why go today? It’s your birthday. Why get aggravated? Go tomorrow.
· Me: I just want to get it over with. I’ll drive there, run in and get the meds since I phoned them in this morning, then come right back home. Should be … oh, 45 minutes at the most.
· The Wife: Okay … Wait … I’m going too.
· Me (apprehensively): Uh, okay. You can wait in the car while I run in.
· The Wife: All right.
ALONG THE WAY:
· Me: I should get off on Nuuanu and get on Nimitz. The construction I ran into last week might still be there, can’t make a left on Liliha, and might have to make a big circle onto Nuuanu anyway.
· The Wife: It should be clear by now. Take the turnoff and turn left on Liliha as usual.
· Me (apprehensively): Uh, okay.
· Me (about 10 minutes later): See? Can’t turn left. Damn, there’s an ambulance behind us (pulling over to the right side of the now single-laned road). Damn, now I’m stuck behind parked cars.
· The Wife: You gotta get over one lane.
· Me (breathing deeply): Ya think?
· The Wife: Hmmm. Go straight. We can go get some eggs at Ka Lei.
· Me (apprehensively): Uh, okay.
· The Wife (10 minutes later, after we’d bought the eggs): Okay, we can go to Costco now.
· Me (sarcastically): I see you brought the coupon book?
· The Wife: Yep. Since we’re gonna be there already.
AT COSTCO:
· Me: I’ll pick up the meds. You go get started on your coupon list.
· The Wife: Okay … come find me. I’ll be around.
· Me (apprehensively): Uh, okay.
· Me (30 minutes later): Where were you? I walked all over the place twice looking for you.
· The Wife: I was right here.
· Me (noticing the cart was full): You don’t say. Right here, huh?
· The Wife: Yep, okay, I’m done. Let’s go. Oh wait, I need a case of Vitamin Water.
· Me: Okay. Is that all you need now?
· The Wife: Yep, that’s all.
· Me (apprehensively): Uh, okay.
· Me (a half-hour later): Can we go now? The cart is really heavy and my shoulder hurts.
· The Wife: Yep. I’m going outside to get a turkey sandwich for mom.
· Me (15 minutes later): Why are you waiting in line with me? Why didn’t you go outside for the sandwich?
· The Wife: I forgot. Okay, I’m going now. I’ll meet you back at the car. Shouldn’t take long.
· Me (apprehensively): Uh, okay.
· Me (mumbling to myself, 15 minutes later, the purchases packed in the trunk): Shouldn’t take long. Right.
· The Wife (10 minutes after that): They didn’t have turkey, just hot dogs, no blah blah blah blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda yadda.
· Me: Fine. Now stop talking and get in the car so we can go home.
The traffic was bad. We got home a half hour later. Bottom line, it took us two-and-a-half hours to do something I wanted to get done in 45 minutes.
All because I told the wife what I was going to do. I should-a just left quietly.

5 comments:

sansblog said...

Craig, read The Wife's first reply to you.
Shoulda listened to that!

R. said...

Haw! I like your wife! She and I would get along. :)

Sylvia K. said...

Were you tapping your foot??? that's what MY hubby used to do!! :)

Craig Miyamoto said...

Sylvia, nope, I just crossed my arms and frowned. LOL.

casch said...

Craig, what did you expect~you married a WOMAN!! We are all pretty much the same, I fear.