Thursday, October 14, 2010

Political Signs Redux

Since the General Election is a little more than a couple of weeks away, it's time for a survey of election signs along the route from my home to Manoa Marketplace and back.
In the governor’s race, I saw one Neil Abercrombie and three Brian Schatz signs. The Abercrombie-Schatz team is running on the Democratic ticket for the offices of Hawaii governor and lieutenant governor respectively.
But these signs are left-over from the primary, and I’m not counting them, as I was looking for team signs. I mean, we can’t vote for one or the other, we’d have to vote for the team. So they should court our votes as a team. Right? And I saw nary a team sign for the Abercrombie-Schatz ticket.
Republicans James “Duke” Aiona (governor) and Lynn Finnegan (lieutenant governor) however, have got their act together, re lawn signs. I counted three Aiona-Finnegan signs on my drive.
Aiona-Finnegan: 3
Abercrombie-Schatz: 0

Colleen Hanabusa, the Democratic candidate for the First Congressional District seat, has no visible supporters and no signs up along the route. Her Republican opponent, Charles Djou, however, has five.
Djou: 5
Hanabusa: 0

Ms. Hanabusa, by the way, doesn’t live in the district, but says she’ll move here if she’s elected. What’s with that? We’re not good enough to be her neighbors unless she’s elected? For that reason alone, I probably won’t vote for her.
In a weird way, the sign-count phenomenon often is a predictor of who will win elections, at least on my drive to the supermarket. We’ll see what happens in a couple of weeks.

No comments: