Monday, October 12, 2009

Umbrella-ish … Sort of

A walk at Honolulu's Waterfront Park is always adventurous, especially if you keep your eyes and mind open and pay attention to little details.

For example: During our early afternoon constitutional today, we saw a parasail in the distance, about a half-mile from shore. And then, just a few minutes later, I spotted some mushrooms growing on the grassy slope next to the walkway.

Parasailing is a popular offshore activity. We see at least one in the air every time we go to Waterfront Park. I personally would never do that 'cause a tourist once fell and died when she went splat against the ocean surface.

I’m not a mycologist by any stretch of the imagination, so my Google search might not be accurate. But this is either an edible Almond Mushroom (Agaricus subrufescens), or a deadly Amanita mormorata. That's 50-50 … not so good odds.

Parasail … mushroom. The thing that stuck in my mind was that they both were umbrella-like. Y’know, caps. So I doffed my Atlanta Braves cap at the mushroom, turned to the ocean and did likewise to the parasailer.

Neither acknowledged my gesture, but that’s okay, because I was simply validating my left-field thoughts. Here’s to the left field! *Clink*

3 comments:

R. said...

50-50? I take it you didn't have mushroom fricassee for dinner then? ;)

Craig Miyamoto said...

No mushrooms tonight! LOL.

casch said...

Good choice, I believe.