Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Conversing With a Computer

I had the darnedest experience yesterday. I had a conversation with a computer.

The Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA), our local Blue Shield-Blue Cross affiliate, called our home and asked for me. The wife answered the phone, then came into my office and said there’s a computer that wants to talk to you.

Apparently the program asked for me specifically. When the wife told it that she wasn’t me, it asked her to get me on the line, which she did. It even identified itself as a computer.

The woman’s voice asked me to confirm my identity, and when I did, she asked if I’d like information about the flu virus. Yes, I replied.

By this time, I was pretty much intrigued about what was going on, so I played along, listening, and answering “yes” or “no” when prompted. Here’s how part of the “conversation” wend (not verbatim, ‘cause I don’t have THAT good a memory):

Computer Lady: “Have you gotten your regular flu shot yet?”
Me: “Yes.”
Lady: “That’s great! It’s important, especially for those over 50. When the H1N1 shot is available, would you like us to send you a reminder?”
Me: “Yes.”
Lady: “All right, we’ll remind you. We can also email you so you can forward the information on to your friend. Would you like us to email you so you can do that?”
Me: “No.”
Lady: “Well, okay, we won’t email you.”

And on and on for about five minutes or so. I've had similar conversations with computers before, but this one was special and different. It wasn’t intrusive or annoying at all – the lady’s voice was extremely pleasant and personable without being condescending.

Whoever wrote the message and set up the program did a very good job. Replies to my responses were immediate and appropriate. And, they picked the right person to narrate.

When the “conversation” was over and she bid me good night, I found myself telling her goodbye and to have a good day. Felt a little silly afterwards, but I just couldn’t catch myself in time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did it ask Diana to put you on the line? Was that a series of yes/no questions as well?

Interesting. I guess some people don't have jobs anymore (if they even had a function like that), but I would think it would be great for telemarketers because that is a not so fun job!