Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fishy Thoughts

What a nice surprise it was to walk from the parking lot to the orchid show on Friday. There, off to the right, in McKinley High School’s Hirata Hall, was a sign heralding the 2009 Honolulu Aquarium Society’s Annual Fish Show.

I had no idea the fish show was on, since my mind had been fixated on the orchid show since seeing a newspaper notice earlier in the week.

It’s not a great big ol’ show, but the fish on display were beautiful. I admire people who can raise aquarium fish, since the only time I had an aquarium was after I won a couple of guppies at a local carnival and bought a goldfish bowl to keep them in.

My college roommate had an aquarium – a 25-gallon tank that sat in the apartment living room. He used to feed them dead fruit flies from his agricultural course experiments, and icky tubifex worms that massed together in a ball in the back sink.

I tried to take a lot of pictures, but it’s hard to shoot through glass and water – most of my pictures had my reflection in it, or glare from the sunlight coming through the doorway.

But I did manage to salvage a couple that are worth keeping:

I don’t know the names of the fishes, because silly me, I forgot to take notes, but the last one is a Siamese Fighting Fish. Beautiful, huh? It should be – it took Best in Show. The show ends today, so hurry up or you’ll have to wait until next year.

2 comments:

R. said...

Fine fish! The Siamese fighting fish reminds me of a ballroom dancer's dress.

casch said...

These are so gorgeous!