Friday, October 9, 2009

The Most Annoying Phrase

Do you know what a recent Maris Poll determined is the most annoying phrase in America?

Whatever.

That is so spot on. It’s a dismissive phrase that says to you, “Oh what the hell, believe what you want, I don’t give a rip about it anyway. Now go away and stop bothering me.”

Nearly half of Americans polled (47%) said there’s no phrase more annoying than “Whatever.”

“Y’know” came in second with 25%. “It is what it is” was third with 11%, “Anyway” got 7%, and “At the end of the day” got 2%.

What phrase annoys me more than “Whatever”? It’s when young people (and older ones too) express their awe by saying, “I was like, wow!”

I hate the word “like” used this way. And anyway, at the end of the day, so should you, 'cause it is what it is … y’know? Ahh, whatever.

No comments: