Sunday, October 4, 2009

ABC Sports – Irritating

ABC ticked me off on Saturday. They cut away from the football game I was watching (USC at Cal) so they could generously and happily give me “bonus coverage” of the close Oklahoma-Miami game.


Granted, the Trojans were embarrassing the Golden Bears, and Miami’s upset of Oklahoma was exciting, but I wanted to watch my team’s entire game. For University of Southern California fans, the switch in coverage was a travesty.


Wasn’t it supposed to be regional coverage so Pac 10 school audiences could watch a game that was more meaningful to the conference? What a joke that is. Can I expect ABC in the future the interrupt its coverage of games I want to watch?


The ABC -ESPN sports programming powers that be jumped to the Oklahoma-Miami game with about 10 minutes left in the USC-Cal game. Because of that, I missed witnessing a great 10-play, 65-yard USC drive, with an exciting series of rushes by USC junior Joe McKnight, to score a touchdown.


When they cut away, I rushed to turn on the computer, and log on to NCAA’s GameCast so I could follow the game via graphic representation. But charts and statistics with written descriptions just don’t measure up to live coverage on television.


The final score, by the way, was USC 30, Cal 3.


I hate ABC today. I hope they don’t mess up coverage of Lost during its final season, as it’s the only show I watch on ABC any more.

No comments: