Saturday, September 26, 2009

Honolulu’s Cat Lady

You can find her at Waterfront Park in Kakaako every day, tending to the feral cats that inhabit the area.

She is Honolulu’s “Cat Lady,” as far as I’m concerned, one of perhaps many who keep the kitties there furry and purry.

We’ve had chats with her during our regular walks in the park, but I’ve never asked her what her name was. I rather think she’d prefer not to have too much publicity, and in deference to my supposition, I’ve chosen not to reveal her face here.

One has to admire what she’s doing, and yet at the same time, wonder if she’s contributing to the burgeoning feral cat problem in Honolulu. I doubt very much that the cats have been spayed, and where you have a clowder, you have both males and females, which results in kittens.

I haven’t spotted any little kittens yet, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there somewhere.

At any rate, my hat’s off to the Cat Lady for providing daily food and water to the felines who wander through Waterfront Park.

No comments: