Thursday, September 24, 2009

Intriguing Signs

A couple of signs were encountered this week that gave me pause, and a chuckle.

This was kind of like Jay Leno’s Monday “Headlines” feature, which makes one wonder if anybody was thinking when they put the signs together.

Of course, I do know what they meant when they wrote what they did, but still, it’s fun to speculate, imagine, and assign more fanciful meanings to the particular arrangement of the words.

“Quall Egg”? Of course, they meant to write "Quail Egg." I did a Google search for “quall,” with only three results, one of which was a story about the Quall family crest and name history.

The other two were about U.S. Rep. Dave Quall (D-40) of Washington State. He’s served for seven terms, which means he’s had plenty of time to lay a few eggs during his congressional career.

I just never knew they entered the open market (specifically, Marukai Market in Honolulu).

I saw this other one on a window of the Golden City Restaurant in Honolulu. The Chinese food restaurant is located on School Street, on the way toward the Kamehameha Shopping Center in Kalihi.

White fungus (aka snow fungus or silver-tree ear fungus) is used in Asian cooking. If you’ve had soup in a Chinese restaurant, chances are pretty good that you’ve already had it.

But I love the juxtaposition of the words. I have a mental image of a chicken walking around the barnyard telling friends, “Don’t come near me, I have white fungus disease. See?”

Now admit it, didn’t that just creep you out?

No comments: