Thursday, September 3, 2009

Students Invade the Beach

It was quite a sight at Ala Moana Beach today, as the normally serene beach resounded with laughter and the sounds of kids having a great time in the sun.

A large canopy tent served as a holding area for the myriad of colored backpacks that would lay there, forgotten until it was time for the kids to leave.

Approximately 150 students of all ages from Christian Academy School were spending a day at the beach – an annual event designed to promote student bonding at the start of the school year.

They were participating in races, relay swimming events, and other activities as some of the parents wearing school golf shirts sat nearby and out of the way of their children.

I chatted with one of the mothers, who filled me in on the activity. Her daughter (pre-teen, I think) came over with a couple of her friends, then walked back to where the action was.

The mom was all smiles, quite happy in the Christian fellowship that obviously was having a terrific effect on the kids.

I ended up smiling as well – throughout the rest of my constitutional walk at Magic Island. It just started my day off on a high note.

No comments: