Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Broke a Rule … Inadvertently

This week, I gave in to an impulse and joined a membership store – Marukai Marketplace in Honolulu.

For years now, I’ve passed the store, often stopping at its sibling 99¢ Store in an adjacent building, but never breaking down and paying my dues. Why? Oh, I don’t know. After all, the annual dues are only $10.

So anyway, I joined this week. But my first day inside, I inadvertently broke one of their rules. Which one? I’ll tell you in just a little bit.

It’s interesting to walk through a food store that sells Japanese products. It’s so colorful, and you are exposed to thousands of unusual products with names you can’t pronounce, and are written in a language you can’t read.

By the way, the 99¢ non-food item store moved into the marketplace and is now called Zakka Avenue.

For those who haven’t been inside a Marukai Market in Hawaii or California, here are some pictures of what it's like inside:

Oh, I almost forgot. The rule I broke? I'll tell you if you promise not to tell anyone.

“No picture-taking is allowed.” Yikes! Gomenasai.

No comments: