Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Morning Musings

Most mornings find me still in bed at 8 o’clock, no matter what time I awakened – finishing up HLN News & Views, watching morning shows and/or Sports Center on TV.

Saturdays are a little different – no morning shows, so it’s mostly sports that wake me up, particularly during Major League baseball and college football seasons.

Sundays dawn to the most relaxing of mornings –sports if there’s an early baseball game on, but mostly cooking shows, followed by having a breakfast that I whip up for the wife and myself.

I noticed a few things this Sunday morning. I was watching “Guy’s Big Bite” on the Food Network, ‘cause his potato-onion-artichoke hash looked intriguing and I’ve grown into liking his style once he stopped doing all the basic stuff in his early shows.

A self-confessed detail geek, I often read the fine print at the end of the show. Today, I saw something interesting. Today’s show was copyrighted MMXIX. That’s 2019. It should have been MMIX (2009).

So what does that mean? I dunno. Does it negate the copyright claim because the date is inaccurate? I dunno. Can people swipe material verbatim off the show until 2019? I dunno. Can people use the images and video without giving credit? I dunno.

Bottom line: I dunno. But it’s fun to speculate.

Then, while reading the Sunday funnies, I found out that the character Ziggy keeps extra postage stamps with him when he stands in line at the post office, in case the rates go up before he reaches the head of the line. He’s supposed to be a loser, but in an odd way, his logic makes perfect sense to me.

Finally, elsewhere in the funnies, I was reminded that if you wait for something to happen, someone else will seize the opportunity right out from under your nose (vultures waiting for a rabbit to die, only to have an eagle swoop down and grab the rabbit).

Hmmmm. Quite an interesting morning, I’d say.

3 comments:

R. said...

Hurrah for Ziggy! :)

What does the copyright mean? Clearly, Guy Fieri has a time machine.

Craig Miyamoto said...

It protects works of authorship. In other words, you can't use verbatim anything that appears in a copyrighted TV show.

casch said...

Me thinks you might have been bored. :)