Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Oxymoronic Moment

You know what an “oxymoron” is … a phrase of two or more words that are diametrically opposite and cancel out each other.

When I was maintaining my Heavenly Tiramisu website (since sold), I mentioned that “healthy tiramisu” was oxymoronic, like “military intelligence.”

Well … I got a really irate comment in my guestbook from a serviceman who lambasted me and raked me over the coals for not respecting our men in uniform.

Of course, I do respect them. And I do understand how this person could have been offended. So I did the only thing I could do. I appended a short note saying just the right things. Then when his comment cycled off the guest book page, I deleted it … because it was MY website, not his.

Yesterday I saw another example of an oxymoronic phrase. Check out the name of this boat:

I hope I don’t get any irate letters from bums!

No comments: