Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Plovers Are Arriving

Yestersday, I saw my first Pacific Golden Plover (Pluvialis fulva, aka “Kolea” in Hawaii) of the season strutting around in the yard next door. I believe it’s a female.

The plovers arrive annually in August and September, after a 50-hour non-stop flight from their summer feeding grounds in Alaska, and will leave the islands in late April or early May.

Last year, a female claimed the territory encompassing three adjacent grassy yards on my side of the street. This is probably the same bird, as plovers reclaim their favorite spot when they return each year.

Arrival of the plovers signals to me that the long, hot days of summer are soon to be replaced by the coolness of autumn. It’s about time.

2 comments:

R. said...

50 hour non-stop flight? I can't even imagine!

Anonymous said...

Wow. 50 hours. They sure got some muscles flapping those wings! And does it *really* mean cooler weather is on its way? Welcome, then, little plover! Come my house! :-)