Monday, August 10, 2009

Focusing on Medicare

I finally got serious about boning up on Medicare since I’m now eligible for the benefits.

About a month ago, when I became eligible (three months before my 65th birthday) I started being inundated with information about Medicare – not only from the Social Security Administration, but from every health-care provider in the United States. It’s amazing how they know I’ve reached the qualification age.

I just tossed the information into a pile on my desk with the intention of wading through it soon.

Well, yesterday was the “soon” day to do that. The piles of information were enough to drive one into medical madness with so much information. I tossed 90% of it.

The booklet that gave me the best rundown was from United Health Care, the insurance provider for members of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP). It brought me up to speed.

But I wanted to talk to a real live person face-to-face, someone who could answer my specific questions. I found such a guy at the Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA), by the name of Young Sohn, who proved to be an excellent information resource.

Okay, I’m ready. I now have to register for Medicare Parts A and B, and then I think I’ll sign up for HMSA’s 65C Plus Plan (sorry, United Health Care, but I do appreciate the booklet you sent me).
Who knew retirement and getting old would be so complicated?

No comments: