Friday, August 7, 2009

Country-Fried Steak

I had a treat for breakfast yesterday, one of my all-time favorites – country-fried steak, aka chicken-fried steak.

What’s not to like about a thin steak covered in chicken batter and deep fried until the outside is crispy and the inside is still tender, smothered in peppery-creamy white country gravy, with scrambled eggs, a side of hash browns and crispy English muffins?

Unfortunately, it’s one of those dishes that one doesn’t find a lot in Hawaii. When I went on business trips to the mainland, I’d often seek it out at restaurants. If it was on the menu, more times than not I’d order it. No more business trips these days, but I have found it in many Las Vegas restaurants.

But Hawaii? The only place I’ve found country-fried steak is at Denny’s. That makes sense since Denny’s is a national chain and its fare is generally “non-local” and caters to mainland tastes. No Portuguese sausage or Spam to be found.

Going to Denny’s generally means either a traffic/parking battle in Waikiki, or a 15-minute freeway drive to Pearlridge Shopping Center. I choose the longer drive since parking at Pearlridge is plentiful and the whole experience is a lot more comfortable. Besides, you can do some major shopping after breakfast at the center.

Yum! I’m going to write it up in “A Place for My Taste” (link in the right-hand column) soon.

1 comment:

Gardners said...

See comment for The Appeal from June~