Saturday, August 22, 2009

It Was a Day like All Days

Personally unspectacular and inconsequential.

I’m talking about yesterday, our Admission Day holiday – Aug. 21, 2009 – the 50th anniversary of the day Hawaii became a state.

I suppose I could have made a big deal out of it. After all, when the 25th anniversary rolled around in 1984, I designed a first-day cover cachet for the 20-cent stamp issued by the U.S. Postal Service to commemorate the event.

This year, the USPS issued a 44-cent stamp with first-day sale in Honolulu. (Did you notice the price of a stamp has more than doubled over the past 25 years?)

It wouldn’t have taken much effort to design an envelope, print some up, and take them to be stamped and cancelled at the state’s Golden Anniversary conference at the Hawaii Convention Center. But I didn’t want to hassle the crowd. Retirement does that to you, it calms the fire just a bit.

I also was thinking of applying some local post labels I’d made up to envelopes, taking them to the neighborhood post office, buying some of the new Hawaii statehood stamps, applying them to the envelopes, and asking the people there to cancel them by hand. But I got lazy.

So I spent the day in the comfort of my home, relaxing. I’ll wait for the USPS to put their official first-day covers on sale at their website, order a few, and decorate them with cachets on my computer. I’ll also apply my local post labels on some (or maybe all – it remains to be seen).

Sure beats standing in lines and dodging crowds. Plus, I got to watch baseball on TV.

No comments: