Saturday, April 18, 2009

Y-M-C-A

Okay, you can call me a retro-dork fool, but whenever I hear the song “YMCA” by the Village People, I do the stupid arm dance.

It happened during the championship game of Hawaii Winter Baseball last October, and it happened again last night when I watched “Can’t Stop the Music,” which I had DVR’d a few nights ago.

The baseball game incident was totally unplanned. They played the song during an inning break and without the benefit of a visual or verbal clue, most of us in the stands spontaneously broke into the arm dance at the appropriate moment.

And when I watched the Village People in the 1980 musical movie, I was propped up in bed. But that didn’t stop me from spelling out Y-M-C-A with my arms … at the appropriate moment. Of course, I was singing along, so I guess I can be excused.

Is this totally ingrained in all of us now? Yikes!

1 comment:

Montee said...

Yes, it is ingrained. People that have been sitting like a stone the entire baseball game will suddenly go wild when this song is played.