Thursday, May 19, 2016

Rap's Hawaii (1982)

I recently re-watched the DVD of Rap Reiplinger's Emmy winning TV special hosted by his Hawaiian-Chinese-Portuguese-Japanese-Puerto Rican-Spanish-et al old man.

The old man (Reiplinger) introduces comedy segments that describe Hawaii locals and their particular dialect, idiosyncrasies and humor.

Although Reiplinger made his career in comedy, he was a troubled young man, dying in 1983 of cocaine-related problems.

Tragedy often boosts a personality's fame, and the same could be said of Reiplinger's so-called "legendary status." Today, fans consider him a comedic genius. I never did, still don't, and probably never will.

I have to say that when I first watched this program 'way back when, I didn't think it was very funny (except for the one called "Room Service," and a few references to frugality). After re-watching, my opinion hasn't changed.

People may say I'm being sacrilegious, but what the hell. I don't think he was a genius, and in general, he wasn't very funny.

No comments: