Sunday, December 22, 2013

Quite a Pliable Performer

It's fun to walk around The Fremont Experience at night, especially during the Christmas season. There are hordes of people from all over the world, and the conversations that go on are so interesting, even if I don't know what they're saying.

I mean, that's because of the variety of languages. I heard (and could identify) Spanish, French, German, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and of course English (American, British, Australian, and Hawaiian pidgin).

I saw SpongeBob SquarePants, Hello Kitty, Wonder Woman, KISS, Big Bird, and some other characters I couldn't identify (I'm "up-to-date TV character" deficient, you see).

There are kiosks selling anything you can imagine, caricaturists, spray-paint artists, and street performers. Plus there's loud music, scantily clad women who apparently don't catch chest colds, and, unfortunately, homeless people wanting a handout.

 
The one performer who caught my eye was a guy who was the most pliable person I've seen in a long time. He bent himself into all kinds of shapes and positions, balancing on one foot, on one hand, and on his head. All the while, the rest of his body was doing incredible things.

I was so impressed that when he closed his act by stuffing himself into a small box, I walked up to him and dropped $10 into his tip box. Man, was he happy. But then, so was I.

I felt good; I made someone happy this Christmas, someone I'd never met before in my life.

No comments: