Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Music With Passion

I went to a birthday party this past Sunday, the first birthday of my wife's brother's brother-in-law's daughter's daughter.

(There must be a simple word or phrase to describe that relationship, but if there is, I certainly haven't heard it. In Hawaii, we call it "calabash," a bowl full of people related by marriage somehow.)

Be that as it may, that's not what I wanted to talk about. I wanted to talk about the entertainment during the Hawaiian buffet.

The entertainer was Derrick Lee, a young man with a terrific voice, and a repretoire that brought back memories of my college and post-college days. Music of the '70s. He's quite versatile too; his business card mentions he performs rock, rhythm and blues, soul, country, ballads, reggae, and Hawaiian music.

He can also provide mobile dj services, sound and lighting, and backline audio equipment for other entertainers. Lee provides his own recorded background music, plays an electronic guitar, and sings along with his music.

I have a great aloha for entertainers who perform at parties or functions where the people generally don't pay attention to the performers. Our musical group, The Januarys, performed at similar functions (i.e., weddings, luncheons) and it's pretty rough on the ego to put out with feeling and energy, and receive no acknowledgement from those in attendance.

But I was listening; I even sang along despite nobody even listening to me. One little girl, I'd say maybe 3 years old, went up in front of the riser and started swaying to his singing. That was cute, and that would have brought tears to my eyes had I been singing on stage in his place. It's always good to be appreciated.

He doesn't know me, and I haven't met him. But I'm impressed. Anyway, here's his information. If you need an event entertainer, call him. I believe you won't be sorry.

Derrick Lee, Music With Passion
Phone (808) 348-0500
www.derrickleemusic.com
derrickleemusic@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/YourMusicalFriend

No comments: