Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Gecko Toes

So I was headed outside yesterday morning to sit in my favorite director's chair and read my current book when I looked down at my slippers ("flip flops" to you people on the mainland).

There where my left-foot toes would soon be ensconced was a longish pale lumpy tube of something. Not waiting to start off with gooshy stuff on my feet, I picked up the slippers and saw ... a dead gecko.
See?
 
It wasn't completely pale; it had black spots and its head was red and reddish-brown. Apparently, that's where someone stepped on it.
The question therefore, is ... Who dunnit? Was it me? And if it were me, was I walking around yesterday with a gecko dangling between my toes? I don't recall feeling anything strange, but who else could have done it?
This incident reminds me of another, maybe 20 years ago. Wearing slippers, I stepped out of my car in the parking lot of McDonald's on Keeaumoku Street. My left slipper fell off as I did, and when my foot landed, I stepped on something soft.
It was a little sparrow, and it had met its doom underfoot. I figured it must have been under the car and tried to fly off when it had the misfortune to fly right where my foot was descending. Poor thing.
I wasn't too hungry after that, but I bought a Big Mac anyway.

No comments: