Monday, October 5, 2015

Things I’ve Learned in 70+ Years, Part 1 of 3

 
It started off as a baker's dozen of things I've learned during my 70+ years on Earth. Along the way, I've made it a point to jot down bright realizations or something that someone smarter told me. The list has slowly grown as I recollect what these smart people taught me.

1. When you watch a movie, suspend belief and accept everything at face value. It's only entertainment, not gospel truth. So what, if something didn’t happen exactly as portrayed. Remember, it’s a movie. It doesn't really matter if they got the history wrong. It's only entertainment.

2. Live every day to its fullest before you get old, because old age isn't going to last very long. Maybe that's a good thing? I didn't want to spend a heck of a lot of time being old, so I did as much as I could when I was younger. You’re not going to have enough energy to do things when you get older. The mind may not age, but the body sure does.

3. Don't be passionate about extending your life by diligently giving up food you love. Enjoy it now, because you won't get a chance toward the end. This is a corollary to #2. If you avoid delicious, aromatic, satisfying food just because you read in a magazine that they’ll shorten your life, get back to eating what you enjoy – in moderation, of course.

4. Just because you see a garbage can, you don't have to lift the cover and poke your nose inside. Keep your nose out of the stink stuff, if you don’t have a reason to check. Do the same in your life. Don’t get so involved with other people's problems that it bothers you. If asked, help. If not, butt out.

5. Don't be in such a hurry to teach your child to walk. Just remember, you're also teaching the kid how to leave you someday. So often, I hear parents say, “When did s/he grow up?” If you don’t spend time with your children while they’re growing up, the jump from first step to “See ya, Mom” is going to seem like the blink of an eye.
 

No comments: