Monday, May 25, 2015

Mysterious Downtown Las Vegas Event


Since I had a few hours to kill before my flight homes, I thought I'd revisit the Las Vegas Natural History Museum near Cashman Field (home of the 51s). It's been a couple of years since I last visited.

But ... Friday the 13th was not a good day to do that. I got the first hint of something brewing when traffic heading east on Las Vegas Boulevard slowed to a crawl and I spotted an "Event Ahead" sign, then a "Lane Closed" sign soon after that.

It turned out that East Fremont Street (the extension of the Fremont Experience) was blocked off, full of big rigs, north-south bound traffic blocked from Las Vegas Boulevard to 10th Street.

I detoured. I wasn't going to keep on crawling, so I turned right on Carson Street to Maryland Parkway, turned left, then left again onto Ogden, and back onto Las Vegas Boulevard, all the way through the Cultural Corridor.

After an enjoyable hour or so at the museum, I headed back on Las Vegas Boulevard and snapped a couple of pix of the event crowd when I passed Fremont. Try and try as I might, I never did find out what the mysterious downtown event was.


No comments: