Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Expensive Bike Lane

Late last year, the City and County of Honolu, in their all-knowing wisdom, decided to install the "King Street Cycle Track," removing the left lane from automobile traffic and parking, and blocking it off for use by bicyclers.

They're progressing, and the green lane is moving inexorably from downtown Honolulu to the Moiliili area of town (a two-mile stretch).

How much will it cost? $100,000. Not much by current purchasing standards, but still a hefty sum when you consider the inconvenience to drivers during rush hour.

Already the deleted lane has resulted in heavier traffic in the remaining lanes. How do I know this? Because I'm been there at various hours of the day.

All I can say is, I hope to see that lane full of bicyclists, the only way I consider the cost and inconvenience to ME as worthwhile.

So ... get out your damned bikes and ride to town.

No comments: