Monday, June 18, 2012

It's Farther Not Further

It's ubiquitous… the misuse of the word “further.” The wife says it all the time when she means to say “farther.” I see it in television commercials, read it in magazines, hear it in conversation all the time.

But when Morgan Freeman uses it at least once in every episode of his popular Science Channel series, “Through the Wormhole,” then something has to be said. I mean, all those intelligent people in the world (and I humbly include myself) who watch the program have to be disappointed.
How can a science program host maintain his credibility when he can’t even master the English language? How, I ask you?
Okay. I’m going to say this one more time: “Further” is not the same as “farther.”
Further does not indicate distance. Farther does. Anytime you want to indicate physical distance, use farther. When you want to refer to “promoting” or “encouraging,” use further. Further is a matter of degree; farther is a matter of actual, measurable distance.
Simple way to remember: Farther contains the word “far,” which is an indication of distance.

If I'm a longer distance from a point than you and your friends, I'm farthest. If I'm a longer distance from you only, I'm farther. If I'm a long distance away, you can say I'm far. Now ... substitute "further." If I'm furthest, then I can be further, then I should be "fur"? Gimme a break.
Anytime you feel compelled to say “further,” say “farther” instead. You stand a better chance of being right. In my experience, farther is the correct choice 90% of the time. Use “further” as a verb and you can’t go wrong.
So, follow my advice and further your knowledge of the difference. You’re sure to go farther. Besides, I'm tired of yelling "Farther! Farther!" to Morgan Freeman on the television screen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had an English teacher tell me "Further" is farther than "farther" so. . . if you are going farther than across the street, you were going further than that.

:)

Are you completely frustrated with my English teacher?