Monday, October 17, 2011

On the Sands of Waikiki


I remember the first time I walked on the sands of Waikiki; I'm not too sure of the year, but I think it was in 1958 or 1959 when Dad brought us kids to Honolulu for a couple of days. 

See, we lived in Hilo and Dad didn't want us to grow up to be (as he put it) "country hicks." He wanted us to experience life in the "big city" so we could talk about it to our friends in school. Left unsaid was the underlying message that our friends in Hilo were hicks. 

Waikiki back then was pretty bare of hotels. That picture above was taken a few weeks ago from our table when I took the family to lunch at the famous Royal Hawaiian Hotel (the "Pink Palace") at the Surf Lanai. See those hotels on the left? They weren't there the first time I went to Waikiki. 

The hotel we stayed in isn't there anymore. The Waikiki Biltmore was demolished in 1972 and the Hyatt Regency Waikiki emerged in its place. 

See those hotels on the extreme right of the picture? They weren't there either. 

And the pink beach chairs and pink umbrellas ... well, chairs and umbrellas like them may have been there, but I'm not sure. We didn't get to see the Royal that time. 

Ahhh, memories, sparked by a simple picture of people enjoying Hawaii's sun in the shadow of Diamond Head. Ain't life grand?

No comments: