Friday, October 7, 2011

An Eventful Day at the Movies

Since I was going to be home alone for a good part of yesterday, I decided to go to the Dole Regal Theaters and see a movie I’d been wanting to see – Dream House.
It turned out to be a good news/bad news event.
First the bad news:
1.       I got a slightly late start and then ran into all kinds of traffic impediments: Lots of trucks, buses, traffic cones, construction, street-crossing pedestrians.
2.       When I got there, I was in such a rush that I forgot to get my parking pass validated and was presented with a $12.50 bill by the parking cashier when I tried to leave.
3.       A bunch of yakkety teens sat in the back of the theater, providing the audience with a running commentary of how scared they were.
4.       Just at the climactic moment, about 10 minutes before the end of the movie, an alarm went off and a disconnected voice said there was an emergency situation in the building and for all of us to get up and leave.
Now the good news:
1.       The ticket person printed out my ticket along with a coupon for a free bag of popcorn I had earned.
2.       I got into my seat just in time for the nice people on the screen to tell us to turn our cell phones off. So I didn’t miss any of the movie.
3.       When the alarm went off, the yakkety kids left in a hurry, returned when someone outside told them it was a false alarm, and sat up front near the side entrance, far away from me.
4.       At the parking ticket booth, the nice lady asked if I’d gone to the movies and if I did, to give her my ticket stub and she’d let me out free.
It was indeed a good news/bad news kind of day. But it turned out okay in the end.
Yeah! Whew!

No comments: