Tuesday, October 4, 2011

All Aboard!

A few weeks ago, when the wife and I were walking at Blaisdell Park in Pearl City, we chanced upon a little plaque installed in the concrete walkway along the edge of the Pearl Harbor waters:

“See Oahu by Rail” (right side of the sign) is one of the Hawaiian Railway Society’s catch phrases, so I’m assuming they had a part in installing the plaque.
Also, since it’s a City & County of Honolulu park, I’m also assuming that the “Honolulu Depot” the plaque is referring to is Oahu Railway & Land train terminal building near Chinatown, Downtown Honolulu.
And, since it’s a little more than 9.5 miles from Blaisdell Park to downtown Honolulu, I’m sure my assumptions are correct.
I know, I know … so many assumptions. But it’s all the fault of that cement plaque. It made me curious.

No comments: