Sunday, August 28, 2011

Viva Elvis-‘Like’

One of the highlights of my recent sojourn to Las Vegas was attending the Cirque du Soleil “Viva Elvis” show at the Aria Resort.
I mean, it was on a par (at least) with the Beatles Love show – our group was chair-dancing and singing throughout the entire program. The beauty of the singing part was that the music performances were so high energy, high volume and awe-inspiring that nobody could hear anybody else’s singing (not to mention the sour notes that must have sneaked past our lips).
And so … it was a puzzle to read in this morning’s newspaper (Anthony Curtis’ “Las Vegas Advisor” column) that the Elvis show is shutting down in January for a remake and redirection.
They’re going to make it less Elvis and more acrobatic.
What? I mean, the acrobatics were spectacular and mind-boggling, as all Cirque shows are, but it was the music and the memories of Elvis that attracted me to the show in the first place.
And when it reopens a few weeks later, Viva Elvis might even have a new name.
Less Elvis, new name … I think it’s a shame.

2 comments:

Bamabird said...

Agreed Brother C.... I loved the show! It had plenty of acrobatics.

casch said...

Sounds sad to me. I was looking forward to seeing it. Guess I'd better get to Vegas real fast!