Friday, January 1, 2010

Teen Texting

I was reading an old issue of Time in the hospital waiting room, and saw something about teen texting. The Nielsen Company is keeping track of how teenagers utilize the texting capabilities of their mobile phones.

I had to pick myself up the floor. The numbers are staggering. According to Time, the average American teen sent and received 2,272 text messages in the third quarter of 2008.

Quick! Give me some updated numbers! The Nielsen website reported that the average number of monthly texts for teens (ages 13-17) in January-March 2007 was 435. The 2,272 number I saw in Time represented a 422% increase.

They had a more recent total (January-March 2009) of 2,899 on their website. That’s an increase of about 27% over the previous three months, and 566% since Nielsen has started crunching the numbers.

I’m so glad I’m not paying for any teenager’s mobile phone.

No comments: