Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Motorcycle Cop Shimmy

Yesterday as we headed north on I-280 on our way to UCSF Medical Center, something strange happened.

Just before what we call the “busted-up Arastradero exit sign,” a motorcycle cop pulled onto the freeway with his lights flashing.

He slowed down one lane, then another, then another, then finally the last one.

When we were all finally creeping along at a moderately slow 40 miles-per-hour, he began weaving from the inner-most lane to the outer-most one. Again and again, he weaved back and forth from one side to the other, not allowing any cars to pass him.

In no time, I could see quite a pack of cars behind us; there must have been at least a hundred cars in the cortege.

He took us on this merry ride for a couple of miles then pulled far ahead and finally exited just past the Stanford “dish” (I’ll write about the “dish” another time).

The cars began to pull ahead and we eventually got back up to speed. We didn’t get to the hospital as quickly as I’d originally hoped, but we were still early, and at least I had another weird little adventure to talk about.

What I’m curious about is … what was THAT all about? Any speculations out there?

2 comments:

R. said...

Weird! I'd love to know why he did that.

Craig Miyamoto said...

My Facebook friend and high school classmate Mike said it's a "traffic break." They do that to slow down traffic that's headed for a serious traffic incident up ahead.