Friday, January 8, 2010

Road Kill

On the very first day I drove back to San Jose from San Francisco, I spotted a dead cat/squirrel/dog/something in the median, on a curving stretch of I-280 just south of the Serramonte turnoff.

That was on Thursday, Nov. 19.

Every weekday since then, I have checked to see if someone (or perhaps a hungry crow or buzzard) has taken care of the road kill.

Not yet. It’s still there, and we’re already at the end of the first week in January.

The dead animal started out a little flat, then became swollen, and has returned to deflation status. I tried to take a photo of the thing, but all I got was a blur. Plus, I was going 65 and it was only about 20 feet to the side. And, I had to keep my eye on the freeway lane ahead. Result ... no pic.

I wonder how long it’s going to stay there. Guess it’s ‘way past buzzard meal now, huh?

3 comments:

casch said...

Probably no one is brave enough to get out in the traffic to remove it. Poor little critter.

Craig Miyamoto said...

The only way to remove it is to block the inside lane of traffic for several hundred yards. That would be tough to do on this freeway -- everybody is going so fast.

casch said...

Yep, that's California traffic!