Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Music: The Wrong List

I like, and truly enjoy, Christmas music.

However …

I don’t like Christmas recordings by Bruce “The Boss” Springsteen. His singing just doesn’t appeal to me.

I don’t like singers who find it necessary to warble and yodel the long notes, instead of holding the note as long as is required and intended by the composer – artist examples: Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston.

I don’t like versions of “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” that feature the phrase “Sa-a-a-anta Claus is coming to town, Sa-a-a-anta Claus is coming to town, Santa Claus is coming to town,” instead of singing it the way it should be sung, with a single “Santa Claus is coming to town.” Artist examples: Bruce Springsteen and The Jackson 5.

And now that I mention it, I don’t like any of the Christmas songs recorded by The Jackson 5.

But that’s about it – a short list.

No comments: