Sunday, November 13, 2016

Handmade Stoneware Bread Baker

A couple of months ago, I bought a handmade stoneware pottery bread baker from David Howard in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

His work was recommended by a good friend from Tennessee, and I remember making yummy fresh bread in an automatic bread maker years ago.

The problem is the family didn’t like cylindrical bread, so I used the appliance to process the dough, then baked it in a glass loaf pan in the oven. Humbug.

Plus, there was just too much bread when all was said and done. So I stopped baking.

The bread baker comes with a passel of recipes; the first one I picked was cranberry walnut bread (pic at right).

A couple of weeks later, I made pumpkin bread just in time for Halloween. Both came out delicious, and when slathered with sweet butter, were extremely drool-worthy.

The piece is a work of art; I almost didn’t want to use it. But I did, and I’m glad.

You can check out David Howard’s Handmade Stoneware Pottery online at http://www.dhowardpottery.net/. He takes orders online, on the phone, or by mail. And he doesn’t just offer bread bakers. He’s got stoneware of all kinds in his shop.

I highly recommend his work.

No comments: