Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Delta First Class

  I got to fly back to Hawaii in Delta Airline’s first class cabin this past December for the first time in a year or so. It was the first time I've flown first class in their B767-300ER, and I have to say the cabin configuration struck me as just a little strange.  
 
Check out how, in the first row, they give you an amazing amount of leg room (no, those aren't my legs).
   
 
The seat controls are on my exclusive console top on the right, and (hallelujah!) easy to read and access.
   
 
The LED reading light to the right of my head looks like a microphone, and silly me, I almost started singing over my shoulder.
   
 
The chair actually opens up into a sleeper bed, which accounts for the hole in the wall in front of me. It also vibrates in different places if you want a massage.
   
So what about the meal? For dinner, flight attendant Toni offered a choice of chicken or pasta.
   
 
I chose the grilled chicken breast with broccoli and yellow zucchini over sweet red pepper rice pilaf, accompanied by a dinner salad dressed with balsamic vinaigrette, and a warm ciabatta bun with butter. The chicken was moist and tender, and very well-flavored, as were the veggies and pilaf.
   
For dessert, they treated me with a four-ounce cup of creamy vanilla Marsala gelato that I finished off with a cup of hot tea (no little teabag saucer, unfortunately, so I disposed of the used teabag in my empty cold drink glass. How gauche of me).
   
I'm happy to say that Delta first class was as pleasant an experience as Hawaiian Airlines first class, and in a few ways (all involving the chair), better.
   
The only thing is ... I got the last available first-class seat, and because of the cabin arrangement, I was somewhat close to the restroom. Eww. Actually, I'm just being an unreasonably petulant snobbish spoiled brat; it wasn't bad at all.
 
     

No comments: