Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ja-bonny Times Ahead


The wife called me into the backyard yesterday. When I got there, she was standing under our jabon (pomelo) tree and pointing upward. I thought she'd spotted a bird's nest so I went and got my camera first.

What she was showing me were some buds and blooms. The jabon tree is getting ready to bust out its new crop of fruit. In fact, a couple have already developed (you can see them behind the flowers on the upper right).

In case you forgot, jabon are like huge grapefruit. Ours are of the pink variety and are very sweet, as opposed to the regular kind, which are rather on the tart side. Once the tree starts producing, the wife is always out there picking and gathering the fruit, mostly to give away to friends, since we're not supposed to eat any (everybody takes Lipitor, and grapefruit is frowned upon as it reacts with the medicine).

Of course, I sneak in a few wedges every now and then, but that's just the way I am.

C'mo-o-o-on, tree ... FRUIT FAST!

No comments: