Wednesday, September 7, 2011

One Paddle, Two Paddle


On a recent walk at Magic Island, the wife and I paused to look over the channel that separated the park from the yacht harbor.

When we had first arrived that day, I had wondered aloud how the canoes stored across the street were launched. From the street, it looked as though the paddlers would have to carry them over a stone wall to get to the water. It turns out I was wrong.

As we arrived at the channel side of Magic Island, my eyes locked onto a fisherman casting his line into the water. Then, while we watched him fish, some canoes slid into view. First one, then another, then another.

Pretty soon, there were four of them making a circuit from what looked like a boat ramp at the sea wall end, out to and around a marker, then back to the shore. The paddlers were rather young; I'm guessing they were junior high or high school students.

Meanwhile, the fisherman was undaunted, continuing his efforts to catch dinner. I'm glad he did; it made for a nice picture.

No comments: