Friday, June 12, 2009

Fast Food Heaven

One of the joys I can reflect back on of the recent four days I spent in Las Vegas is the chance I had to partake of two fast-food chains that aren't available in Hawaii.

Upon our arrival, we went for a quick snack at In-N-Out on Tropicana just west of the Las Vegas Strip.

The burgers there are not bad, and they are cheap. Granted the single doesn't have a lot of meat, but at $1.69 it's a bargain, and quite tasty. For a normal appetite, I'd recommend the "Double Double" at about a buck more.

All they sell there are burgers and fries and soft drinks. You gotta be prepared to stand at the end of a long line, but it moves fast and the food doesn't take very long to appear because they have a dozen or so people behind the counter having the greatest time cooking and assembling the orders.

Another day, we were looking for a quick afternoon snack and happened upon a Weinerschnitzel.

Back in the day, when I first returned to Hawaii from college, along with my wife and son, they had a couple of restaurants in Honolulu. Only then they were known as Der Weinerschnitzel (or as we affectionately called it, "DW").

A few years later, they left the islands, never again to return.

The hot dogs are cheap. You can get five chili dogs for $5, and they were running a special - two chili dogs, a chili fries, and a drink for only $3. What a deal, what a deal!

We had a hamburger, a hot dog, fries and two drinks for less than $7.

I tell ya, I wish we had these two back in Hawaii.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you go to Tommy Burger while you were up there? I think it's the same as the one in LA. I'm going to have to hunt it down when I go up there in October! Yes! After a 2-year absence, I'm heading back to Vegas! wOOt!