Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Mystery: The Lonely Pottery Vase


After breakfast on Sunday, the wife and I took an invigorating walk at Kaka’ako Waterfront Park, one of Honolulu’s better, yet lesser-known, attractions.

Built on a former municipal landfill, the park encompasses 30 acres or so of lush green grass, picnic pavilions, rolling knolls and meandering walkways.

The pedestrian promenade hugs the shoreline, affording a magnificent view of body surfers, sailboats, cargo ships leaving Honolulu Harbor, airliners heading west for Japan from Honolulu International Airport or turning east to the U.S. mainland, sea birds, stray cats, little black crabs and the peaceful Pacific Ocean.

And … a narrow-necked vase of fired pottery sitting there on the rocks.

As I sat in the cool shade of a rest station, I pondered its existence, wondering who put it there and for what purpose. Was there a religious or mystic significance to its purpose? Is it a memorial of a sort? How long has it been there? Do people move it from time to time?

I guess I’ll never know.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Beautiful picture and nice story.

Rebecca said...

Am I the only one who thought drug drop? Does this make me a bad person? ;)

Deborah aka Miss Bee said...

I find this to be a haunting photo, Craig...not spooky - just thought-provoking.