Saturday, July 5, 2014

Cleopatra is Back

Remember Cleopatra, the spotted dove that I named a few years ago because of its eyes that reminded me of the Egyptian queen? Well, she's back.

Actually, she never left. And actually, I don't know if it's the same bird. And even more actually, I don't know if Cleopatra is a female or a male. But who cares? That's the name I gave it anyway.

I'd taken a vacation from reading during the months of December 2013 to the end of May 2014, so I didn't go outside to my comfy beach chair to read during the day. And, as I used to bring something to feed the birds, they didn't get anything from me for a long time.

So when I began sitting outside again, munching on crackers and drinking my hot green tea, Cleopatra renewed her visits, flying down and walking around near me, looking at me with pleading eyes. Naturally, I succumbed and started feeding her. Once in a while, she'll hop on my foot rest.

The other day, she hopped on the chair next to me and leaned over to see what I was doing. I reached over and stuck my finger out, snapping a picture on my iPad as I asked her (out loud) to pull my finger. She looked at the finger, looked in my eyes, and strutted off a little annoyed, it appeared.

So I did the only thing I could do. I gave her more of my cracker.

2 comments:

casch said...

Seems as though she missed you! And she doesn't care if you've named her incorrectly, she's glad you are back.

Craig Miyamoto said...

I think you're exactly right, Carolyn!

~ Craig