Wednesday, April 4, 2012

World War II Gun Emplacement?


I wish I knew what this concrete block along the seawall of Kakaako Waterfront Park is. I see it every time the wife and I go walking there.

In a perfect world, someone would have written about it in a blog or on a website somewhere, but an intense Google search turned up nothing.

My guess is it's the base of a turret, perhaps a World War II gun emplacement installed along Honolulu's shore to keep vigil over the skies, as anyone at the location can watch airplanes heading to the right, toward Hickam Air Force Base, which was strafed pretty badly during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

But the thing is, I don't know for sure. There's no plaque there or anything. If anybody has information, I sure would appreciate hearing from them.

No comments: