Sunday, January 7, 2018

Hilo Days: Quick Draw Gets Shot Down

Just when I thought I was a hot shot, I fell through the cracks—intp a chasm, actually. Here’s my entry in my once-upon-a-time Hilo Days website.

100 + 11 = Eleventy-One

Eleventy-one. Sounds stupid, but that actually was an answer I gave in class.

I remember Miss Yanagihara gathering a bunch of us first-graders around the blackboard and asking us what certain numbers were. When 111 came up, I shot my hand up like a flash and could hardly wait until she called on me.

"Eleventy-one!" I blurted out proudly, and puffed my cheek out as several first-grade heads nodded in agreement.

I basked in the glow of peer adoration until I was brought crashing back to earth by Miss Yanagihara's chuckle, and the devastating words, "Wrong! Anybody else know the right answer?"

These things tend to stick with you for a long time. Maybe that's why I hardly volunteered answers in any classes I was in during my career as a student.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

So cute, Craig! I understand the reluctance thereafter! Would have been me also as I was quite shy.

Craig Miyamoto said...

Sometimes being too smart too quick stops being a blessing!