Friday, May 12, 2017

Expensive (EXPENSIVE!) Meat

A few days after last Thanksgiving, the wife and I spent a night at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf.

Our key activity there (besides walking and eating) was spending a Tuesday half-day at the Ferry Building Farmer's Market.

It's great checking out all the fresh produce, and then strolling around in the Ferry Building marveling at all the grocery and specialized food offerings on display and for sale.


I always like to check out the meat market (sorry, I forget the name). This time around, they had this magnificent, exquisitely marbled hunk of genuine Wagyu beef strip steak that was imported from Miyazaki, Japan.

They'll cut you a slab to order and charge you $145.00 a pound, Yep, one-hundred and forty-five dollars. So an eight-ounce steak will set you back $72.50, plus $14.66 sales tax.

I thought about buying one ... seriously. But then I thought, what if I overcook it? What if I messed it up? Hmmmm. Better leave the preparation to the professionals.

Is $145.00 a pound unreasonable? I don't think so, because I've seen other direct-from-Japan Wagyu beef at a Japanese import food market in Honolulu. They had a similarly appearing standing rib roast for about $650.00.

Wow! I kid you not.

No comments: